Registering a car in Italy

Registering a Car in Piedmont

If you are moving to Italy and want to bring your car with you, you have a couple of choices

Getting your car registered in Italy

It actually is not so difficult. To transport the car from your country you can buy Transit plates. They cost about €150 and will cover you for registration and European insurance for about 4 days (you can get longer). UPDATE! You can only bring a car from Germany to Italy on Transit plates now..

Once you have the car here you need the bill of sale or invoice for the car, the registration document and a document from the maker that confirms all the technical details of the car - engine size and number, horsepower, tyre sizes, etc. It's called Certificato di Conformità. You can get this from the manufacturer. You just need the chassis number of the car.

Once you have that you need to visit an ACI office. They will do everything for you. Once you have the documents and number plates get it insured and take it for its revisione (a two yearly test - MOT in the UK). In Piedmont they also do a scarico test - exhaust emissions. It's called Bollino Blu.

You then need to get your Bollo. Your ACI agent should be able to do this.

If you're bringing a righthand drive car you'll need new headlights, a speedo that reads in Kilometres (in the UK they usually do have KMs as well on the speedo) and your rear fog light needs to be on the left side.

Your revisione is every two years unless it's a new car.
A car has its first test when it's 4 years old then every two years.

Your bollo (road tax) is yearly and according to engine power.

NOT registering your car in Italy..

The law states that you have to have your car registered in Italy if it stays here more than 6 months. But most people don't worry about it.

You just have to be sure it is properly insured and it has it's yearly test, or whatever the country it is from requires. I've read on forums that some people don't bother, as it involves driving the car back home once a year. My advice is, just do it. You might not have trouble if you get stopped by the police but you will if you have an accident, especially if it's fatal. It's dumb to ignore a law that's there for our safely and the safety of others. If that's too much hassle you might do better to get a car from Italy. It's better to know the car is roadworthy and safe and that it conforms to Italian law.


Some companies offer insurance for cars that spend a lot of time abroad but you will probably need to keep the car registered with someone that has residency in the country the car is registered in. Try this insurance company: Stuart Collins

Piedmont Guide Book